Skip to main content

ex-clusivity

Haven't given much attention to the news ever since work started, so yeah, the General elections were an eye-opener, but absolutely no clue about the upcoming Presidential elections. Something I don't like about the media (and ironically, social media): its limited scope - it cannot possibly capture the feelings of the mass majority, yet so much weightage is given to what is published. Inevitably, the loudest voice gets heard, not necessarily the wisest or the more representative.

Just watched American History X again. Dunno, some days you just feel prepared to take on the violent stuff you know? (As evident, movies like this just give me sleepless nights...)

So, 0236 hours. What am I thinking... Well, it doesn't take much for us to hate. Us, as in, any human. It doesn't even matter if we really went through stuff, like how the main characters' father got murdered. All it takes is for us to get the perception that we were wronged, our rights were withheld or stolen, that we are victims of circumstance, for it to colour our view about the actions, words and motivations of other people. That's all it takes.

Therefore, taking the advice of a lead actor in the movie, to quote someone (who quoted someone else):

"So I guess this is where I tell you what I learned - my conclusion, right? Well, my conclusion is: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it. Derek says it's always good to end a paper with a quote. He says someone else has already said it best. So if you can't top it, steal from them and go out strong. So I picked a guy I thought you'd like. 'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'"
- Daniel Vinyard, played by Edward Furlong

The 'better angels of our nature' do not calculate, nor practice exclusivity or subtle preferences for their own kind. There isn't a need for a defined 'others' for us to feel secure about ourselves. There isn't a need for us to attain a certain level of education or wealth, before we feel that we can dole out common generosity, courtesy, respect and compassion on other people. This truth stands, that to judge others with the same yard stick as we judge ourselves, is to live up to the standards of the 'justice' and 'fairness' that a lot of people are and have been calling out for these past months. That is fairness - making a clamor to secure benefits for yourself at the expense of others, isn't.

Comments

what a great post! i really like it and wanted to say thanks for sharing!
JLTan said…
"Something I don't like about the media (and ironically, social media): its limited scope - it cannot possibly capture the feelings of the mass majority, yet so much weightage is given to what is published. Inevitably, the loudest voice gets heard, not necessarily the wisest or the more representative."

While agreeing with you, I think it is still a good communication medium.
This post is exclusive and I am really happy to have found it among the other ones.Have you got an academic assignment to be accomplished soon? Go to custom writing services to solve this issue!

Popular posts from this blog

There must be more than this Oh breath of God come breathe within There must be more than this Spirit of God we wait on You Fill us anew we pray Fill us anew we pray Consuming fire fan into flame A passion for Your name Spirit of God won't You fall in this place Lord have your way Lord have your way in us Stir it up in our hearts Lord Stir it up in our hearts Lord Stir it up in our hearts Lord a passion for your name As Sy Rogers said today, there are things we can look back on, our memorial stones, that encourage us and give us strength to move forward. I rmb a time I was so far away and so tired of people in general, cos really it's relationships that really get me down - n when Jean would walk in on me crying or just sitting and not even having the energy to do stuff, she would listen n say 'just cry out to God alright?' and that would be the last thing i wanted to hear. sometimes you know what to do, and you know what the advice will be, but when the emotions are n

beauty and the beast

Best movie ever! I admit, I was totally sceptical at what I thought was another attempt to spoil a good thing. But musicals... haven't regretted watching a single one, from Chicago, Burlesque, Les Miserables (though I only found out it was fully a musical midway)! We live and we learn :) Ok, here's how good it was. I went back to watch it a second time. Hee. It's definitely one of those movies to watch alone - so you can cry at all the odd moments. I gather from the odd chuckles and silences from my fellow movie-watchers, that we were all touched by the movie in one way or the other. None of us wanted to live till we saw the end of the credits. You have to leave immediately when the lights come on though, so you can go remove any traces of the tear tracks. Loved Belle for being both feisty and just lovely. Emma Watson, you danced beautifully; I was half-in-love with you myself! And of course Beast and the eye-rolling, bumbling-ness of him. The best of it all was t

on mountains and perspective

Kept awake by a bout of traveler's diarrhea and the ensuing abdominal colic. Just been back from an attempt at Mount Kinabalu, 'highest mountain in Southeast Asia'. Okay, those apostrophes are there out of bitterness... it really is the highest mountain in Southeast Asia. And I couldn't even attempt the summit. Made it to the base camp at 3067 m though... that's what it says on my black-and-white certificate - colored ones are only for successful summit-ers.  Crrr! But I made it back with my life. And I'm humbler for the attempt, though how could I resist the parting shot: "I'll be back!"? But on a more serious note, it's an awesome thing, a beautiful gift to be able to get out there into as natural a surrounding you can get (without dying a slow tv-less death from cold, altitude sickness, projectile vomit and did I mention cold?). It truly seems like one never can be happy - despite all my first-world comforts, I'd gladly pay to painf