Skip to main content

Discipline

These are soundbites from Phil Pringle's 'Strategies for Success - Discipline'

- 'I can understand why people believe in evolution. Before our spirit came alive, our body is an animal! We're driven by animal instincts, our lusts, emotions, desires.'

- 'Jesus: Go, therefore and make disciples...'

-' What makes a disciple? You need discipline.'

- 'Your emotions, your desires, hopes, dreams, passions, intellect - your hold being, is held together by one single thread. That is your will, your choice.'

- 'Say with me, discipline. I know, it's hard to say isn't it. We're more used to saying things like, 'FREEDOM!'

- An undisciplined, undiscipled life, is like a wild horse, a brumby, running out there in the wilderness. Oh, it looks beautiful you know, free, inspiring but basically, it's useless. Yea, you can't use it for anything, it won't obey you, it's energies and strengths won't be harnessed by anyone for anything useful. It just runs around all day, and other than serving as pictures for people to look at and say 'that's freedom', it doesn't do anything else does it?'

- 'Jesus wants to harness that wild horse in us - the emotions, the lusts, the depression, the fears and passions -'

- 'Freedom - do we really know what that is? Freedom is having the ability to remain unmolded by your circumstances. No matter what your circumstances are, you choose to be happy, and you are! I mean, it's great to be happy spontaneously, but there will come times when you need to make a choice to stay joyful. Rejoice! That's a command in the Bible!'

- 'Discipline your emotions, body, your finances. Integrate all of them to follow and live out your beliefs.'

- 'Choose to be free. Choose to be clean. Choose to be faithful. Choose life.'

- 'What does it mean to take up the cross daily? Jesus calls all of us to lay down our lives and pick up our crosses - only then can we follow Him. Instead, I've seen many people put down their crosses, and take up their lives.'

- 'Pick up your cross. Pick up - you need to have a degree of acceptance and love for it to pick something up. Embrace your cross! The Christian life is all about self-denial; i may feel like picking up those pornographic magazines, but NO, I discipline myself and deny that to my flesh. Love that cross, that part of your life which just kills you, makes you wish you were dead, makes you cry out to God to just remove it from your life. Embrace it! It kills your flesh!'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on mountains and perspective

Kept awake by a bout of traveler's diarrhea and the ensuing abdominal colic. Just been back from an attempt at Mount Kinabalu, 'highest mountain in Southeast Asia'. Okay, those apostrophes are there out of bitterness... it really is the highest mountain in Southeast Asia. And I couldn't even attempt the summit. Made it to the base camp at 3067 m though... that's what it says on my black-and-white certificate - colored ones are only for successful summit-ers.  Crrr! But I made it back with my life. And I'm humbler for the attempt, though how could I resist the parting shot: "I'll be back!"? But on a more serious note, it's an awesome thing, a beautiful gift to be able to get out there into as natural a surrounding you can get (without dying a slow tv-less death from cold, altitude sickness, projectile vomit and did I mention cold?). It truly seems like one never can be happy - despite all my first-world comforts, I'd gladly pay to painf...

cut the hair!

Need to cut my hair before CNY! ;) been getting really unruly these days - can recall my last hairstylist's scandalized look when I told him i haven't gone to a salon for 3 months! XD Lol.. Polling the audience! XD (give me a hand here!) #1 Lol... dun have her neck. OR the length of hair come to think of it. #2 Sweet~! I love the layered back! Haha.. #3 Top of the list i think... ;D though to achieve the LOOK would mean plastic surgery. #4 Hmm.. difficult to reproduce it like everyday - PLUS have to think of my rate of hair growth (T.T) #5 LOL... I would love this haircut but it's a bit spur-of-the-moment thingy! XD Cheers!

RAVE POST

So many things to thank God for! Sometimes during CG though, i'll be like, eh i know i have something to share but what(?!?!) during testimony time. Lol.. ok, just a list cos it's 0133 and there's church this morning (YEA!) so a bit 'seh~' (my new word =D) 1. God as in, not in the 'ya must put God first in everything so yea, here it is, evidence. gr.' but really, this year's emerge, with Pst's Sermon on the Mount series preparing the way, it really did it. And the fact that God pursues us with His love, even surrounding non-believers with his common grace, so that whether most believe in God or not they will still be able to live life successfully. The evidence is all there. Forgot to pray? yea, but He still shows up. I finally feel like I'm starting to see colors, breathe fresher air, move more freely.. and like the song; Better than the riches of this world, Better than the sound of my friends' voices, Better than the biggest dreams of my h...